
It was Sunday afternoon, I had finally received my first invitation to a Colombian home for "Los Onces." I had no idea what that was, but as I circle above, below, around, what feels like real Colombian culture, I was thrilled to discover just what this meant.
I found myself in the home of mi nueva amiga, my current salsa wing-woman, drinking hot chocolate with slabs of cheese with her brother and daughter. Apparently, hot chocolate and cheese is a specialty in South America, they served it in Ecuador as well.
We all laughed at our failed attempt to go out Friday night. My new amiga and I tried to go salsa dancing without the help of her brother or her 18-year-old daughter. We were way over our heads:( We made the fatal error of drinking two drinks over the course of four hours. Innocent enough? Think again. I learned the hard way that if you drink a Mojito with a shot of Aguardiente (firewater) you'll be toast or as they say "enguayabada" for a full 24 hours.
Clearly my three years in supposedly-dry-Pakistan and recent nine months on a yoga sabbatical did not prepare me to keep up with the Latinas. Neither on the dance floor, nor drinking. I'm a Moody Bible Institute Alum and a Westmont grad from Wheaton, Illinois. I went to college without alcohol. In fact, I really haven't drank like this, nor been exposed to these options, and grave dangers, since I was....ahhh in about eighth grade, when the Wheaton-Warrenville Middle School girls and I began experimenting.
My friend's excuse--she hadn't gone out in 20 years. She divorced three years ago and married young. Consequently, we sort of make a perfect team. Except that we didn't know the fundamental rule of drinking. "No mezclas (no mixing) any type of hard liquor!" her 18-year-old-daughter explained to us.
All I could say was "Nunca mas! Nunca mas!"
Laughing, she agreed while her brother warned,"In Colombia, never say never."
The 18-year-old offered more insights. "I shared an entire bottle of Aguardiente with two friends at home, while babysitting my brother, when the two of you went out. None of us were "boraccha" nor "enguyaybada."
Her list of advice continued:
1) Have another drink in the morning, to fend off the hangover.
2) Take two Alka seltzer.
3) Never eat on an empty stomach, meat with a lot of fat absorbs the alcohol.
(Dios Mio, this was becoming embarrassing!)
We each became devastatingly sick the next day. In the middle of 13-hour-long bus trip to Villa de Leyva, I threw up like a teenager. Unfortunately, she did the same in the privacy of her own home. The only good news is that is was the nicest public bathroom I had ever seen. Of course, there was a woman employed to hand out toilet paper and keep clean it. It was spotless, and true to Colombian form they played great music. I gave her a 20,000 peso tip.
As far as I'm concerned I'm sticking with water! No more firewater. Who can dance for four hours 2-3 nights a week while drinking anything else?
----------
Here is what Rumi had to say for July 31!
The Soul's Friend
Listen to your essential self, the Friend.
When you feel longing, be patient,
and also prudent, moderate with eating and drinking.
Be like a mountain in the wind.
Do you notice how little it moves?
There are sweet illusions that arrive
to lure you away. Make some excuse to them.
I have indigestion or I need to meet my cousin.
You fish, the baited hook may be fifty
or even sixty gold pieces, but is it really worth
your freedom in the ocean?
When traveling, stay close to your bag
I am the bag that holds what you love.
You can be separated from me.
Live carefully, in the joy of this friendship
Don't think. But those others love me so.
Some invitations sound like the fowler's whistle
to the quail, friendly,
but not quite how you remember
the call of your soul's Friend.
Bogota may get the best of you if you don't watch out...
ResponderBorrarI feel for you, but I am laughing so hard... One day at a time. One drink at a time.
ResponderBorrarThree cheers for countries with clean public bathrooms!
ResponderBorrarMy friend's 70-year-old parents from Russia still enjoy drinking more vodka than I ever saw consumed before (college included), but would not dream of drinking it w/out bread and butter. They said the fat in the butter keeps them hangover free. They are wonderful people.
@ Heather, no kidding. I haven't been trained for this! @ Julianna, its sort of funny, sort of! @ Elizabeth, this is exactly what I am talking about. Eat bread and butter and you'll be hangover free. Here its eat an Arepa or fatty meat and you'll clear feeling awful. We'll see.
ResponderBorrarIn the mean time, if I post like this, do all three of you get notified. I sort of doubt it???